Randall Hawkins, MD, PhD
|School||UCSF School of Medicine|
|Address||185 Berry Street|
San Francisco CA 94143
|University of California Irvine||M.D.||School of Medicine||1975|
||1984||New Investigator Research Award|
|1980||Taplin Scholar Award in Nuclear Medicine|
Randall Hawkins, MD, PhD, is a Professor in the Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging at the University of California, San Francisco. Dr. Hawkins previously served as Program Chief of the Nuclear Medicine Section at UCSF from 1993-2009. He earned his MD from the University of California, Irvine in 1975, and completed a fellowship in Medical Physics from the University of California, Berkeley in 1975. Dr. Hawkins completed a residency in Radiology from the University of Southern California Medical Center in 1979, a residency in Nuclear Medicine from UCLA in 1981, and a Chief residency in Nuclear Medicine from UCLA in 1981. He obtained his MS in Medical Physics from UCLA in 1981, followed by a PhD in Biomedical Physics from UCLA in 1985.
Dr. Hawkins’s research interests are focused on clinical and methodological developments and applications of PET, SPECT, and other imaging modalities in disease states such as cancer, selected work in pathologic, and physiologic investigations of the central nervous system, cardiovascular system and other organ systems. Dr. Hawkins performed the first successful quantitative kinetic PET imaging evaluation of mice. Others followed with the development of micro PET and micro PET/CT scanners, which is now a part of the imaging research environment.
Dr. Hawkins is the lead investigator of a project that was the first to use whole body PET clinical examinations. He has served as Principal Investigator and Co-Principal Investigator for several NIH grants, and he has published 142 articles, 11 book chapter, with 4 significant publications.
PET imaging, SPECT
Nuclear medicine, radiology, positron emission tomography, cancer, brain, heart
Education and Training:
• Medical School: University of California, Irvine
• Internship: University of Southern California Medical Center, Los Angeles - Medicine
• Residency: University of Southern California Medical Center - Radiology
• Residency: University of California, Los Angeles - Nuclear Medicine
• Fellowship: University of California, Berkeley - Medical Physics
• Masters of Science: University of California, Los Angeles - Medical Physics
• Doctor of Philosophy: University of California, Los Angeles - Biomedical Physics
• California Medical License
• Ohio Medical License (inactive)
• American Board of Radiology (ABR)
• American Board of Nuclear Medicine (ABNM)
Nuclear medicine, radiology, positron emission tomography, cancer, brain, heart.
Derived automatically from this person's publications.
People in Profiles who have published with this person.
People who share related concepts with this person.