William Ryan, MD
|Stanford University||M.D.||School of Medicine||2005|
|Wesleyan University||1997||Phi Beta Kappa|
William R. Ryan, MD, FACS, is a board-certified fellowship-trained Assistant Professor of Clinical Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery in the divisions of Head and Neck Surgery Oncology, Salivary Gland Surgery and Sialendoscopy, Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery in the Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at the University of California, San Francisco. He received his medical degree from Stanford University and also completed both his internship and otolaryngology-head and neck surgery residency at Stanford University Medical Center, followed by an advanced head and neck oncologic surgery fellowship from UCSF.
Clinically, Dr. Ryan is skilled in the care and management of patients with benign and malignant tumors of the head and neck and obstructive salivary disease with the appropriate application of robotic, endoscopic, minimally invasive, and traditional surgical techniques. He helps direct the Robotic Head and Neck Surgery program (for TORS: TransOral Robotic Surgery), the Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery Center, and the Salivary Gland Surgery Center at UCSF. He has specific interests and expertise in thyroid and parathyroid surgery, sialendoscopy/salivary duct surgery, salivary tumor surgery, upper aerodigestive tract surgery (of the oral cavity, oropharynx, hypopharynx, larynx, upper esophagus, and trachea), skin cancer surgery, and regional facial, head and neck reconstruction.
He is the co-director for following courses: the annual UCSF/Tripler Pacific Rim Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Update Course, in Honolulu, HI, and the UCSF Sialendoscopy/Salivary Duct Surgery Course, in San Francisco, CA. He is a regular lecturer at the UCSF School of Medicine and multiple regional and national courses. He is a lecture and proctor for the American College of Surgeons Thyroid and Parathyroid Ultrasound Course. He is a committee member in the American Head and Neck Society and the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. He is a reviewer for the journals: Head and Neck, ORL (Otorhinolaryngology), and JAMA-Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Also, he is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Head and Neck Surgical Oncology, Salivary Gland and Duct Surgery and Sialendoscopy, Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery
Head and Neck Surgical Oncology, Transoral Robotic Surgery, Surgeon-Performed Ultrasound, Salivary Gland and Duct Surgery and Sialendoscopy, Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery
Head and Neck Tumors, transoral robotic surgery, surgeon-performed ultrasound, salivary surgery/sialoendoscopy, thyroid/parathyroid surgery, endoscopic sinus/skull base surgery, and facial reconstruction, outcomes research. salivary function in setting of oncologic treatments, head and neck surgery technique commonalities across the United States, the impact of sialendoscopy on patient symptoms, the benefits and drawbacks of head and neck cancer surveillance with radiology
Education and Training:
• Medical School: Stanford University, CA
• Internship: Stanford University, CA – Head and Neck Surgery
• Residency: Stanford University, CA – Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
• Fellowship: University of California, San Francisco – Head and Neck Oncologic Surgery
Awards and Honors:
• 1997 Phi Beta Kappa, Wesleyan University
• 2004, Best paper by a medical student award, 6th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer, Washington D.C
• 2009, Honorable Mention-Scientific Content Award, Stanford Otolaryngology Resident Research Symposium
• 2011 University of California-San Francisco - Pinnacle Award- Highest Patient Satisfaction Award For A Clinical Division (Granted to the Division of Head and Neck Oncologic/Endocrine Surgery)
• 2012 University of California-San Francisco - Pinnacle Award - Highest Patient Satisfaction Award For A Clinical Division at UCSF (Granted to the Division of Head and Neck Oncologic/Endocrine Surgery)
• 2013 University of California-San Francisco - Pinnacle Award (Honorable Mention / 3rd Place) - Highest Patient Satisfaction Award For A Clinical Division at UCSF (Granted to the Division of Head and Neck Oncologic/Endocrine Surgery)
Head and Neck Surgery, Transoral Robotic Surgery, Thyroid/Parathyroid Surgery, Sialoendoscopy, Salivary Duct Surgery, In Office Surgeon-Performed Ultrasound, Nasopharyngolaryngoscopy, Stroboscopy, Neck Dissection, Upper Aerodigestive Tract Cancer Surgery, (Lips, Oral Cavity (Mouth), Oropharyx/Hypopharynx/Larynx (Throat) Surgery, Upper Esophageal Surgery, Salivary Cancer Surgery, Thyroid Cancer Surgery, Goiter Surgery, Hyperparathyroidism/Parathyroidectomy Surgery, and Facial and Neck Regional Reconstruction.
Derived automatically from this person's publications.
People in Profiles who have published with this person.
People who share related concepts with this person.