Christopher Dowd, MD, is a Professor of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging, Neurological Surgery, Neurology, and Anesthesia and Preoperative Care and Co-Director of Birthmarks and Vascular Anomalies Center at the University of California, San Francisco. He specializes in the diagnosis, management and treatment of cerebrovascular diseases of the brain/spinal cord and of vascular birthmarks. Dr. Dowd earned his medical degree from the University of Virginia, Charlottesville in 1983, and completed his residency in Diagnostic Radiology at the University of California, San Diego, followed by a fellowship in Neuroradiology and Interventional Neuroradiology at UCSF.
Dr. Dowd’s primary research interests include: endovascular treatment of intracranial aneurysms endovascular treatment of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage-induced vasospasm, endovascular treatment of cutaneous vascular birthmarks, human fetal tracheal balloon occlusion in the treatment of congenital diaphragmatic hernias, endovascular treatment of acute dural sinus thrombosis, endovascular treatment of vein of galen malformations, preoperative tumor embolization, the novel treatment of chemoinfusion for retinoblastomas, and endovascular therapy for brain AVMs and dural carotid-cavernous fistulas.
Dr. Dowd has served as the Primary Investigator and Co-Investigator of many IRB/CHR approved research projects. He has published 178 articles, written over 300 scientific abstracts, and 58 book chapters dedicated to his research.
Neuro Interventional Radiology
Neurology, neurosurgery, otolaryngology, child neurology, and pediatric surgery
Interventional radiology, neurointerventional radiology, neurointerventional surgery, surgical neuroangiography, brain aneurysms, stroke, vein of galen malformations, birthmarks and vascular anomalies
Education and Training:
• Medical School: University of Virginia, Charlottesville
• Internship: Newton-Wellesley Hospital, Newton Lower Falls - Medicine and Surgery
• Residency: University of California, San Diego - Diagnostic Radiology
• Fellowship: University of California, San Francisco - Neuroradiology
• Fellowship: University of California, San Francisco - Interventional Neuroradiology
• Basic Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (1980)
• Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) (Certified 1981, Western Albemarle Region, Charlottesville, VA)
• Advanced Cardiac Life Support (1983, 2010)
• National Board of Medical Examiners (Certified 1984)
• California Medical License (1984)
• American Board of Radiology (Certified 6/11/87)
• Radiology X-Ray Supervisor and Operator, California Department of Health Services (1987)
• Massachusetts Medical License (1989)
• Arizona Medical License (1994)
• Hawaii Medical License (1995)
• Nevada Medical License (1995)
• American Board of Radiology Certificate of Added Qualification in Neuroradiology (1995, 2005)