Dr. William Huen is Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine at UCSF, and serves at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital as Associate Chief Medical Officer and Medical Director of Quality Management and the Kaizen Promotion Office.
Dr. Huen practices medicine and teaches housestaff and students on the Inpatient Medical service and Medicine Consultation service at Zuckerberg San Francisco General. As Director of Performance Improvement, he is Chair of the Department of Medicine Quality Improvement Committee and manages quality improvement and patient safety activities in collaboration with information systems, clinical pharmacy, nursing and quality management.
As Associate Chief Medical Officer and Medical Director of Quality Management and the Kaizen Promotion Office, he works with the CMO and hospital leaders to lead the Performance Improvement and Patient Safety Committee and to develop and implement the hospital’s strategic plan. He finds joy as a lifelong learner and practitioner of quality improvement, education and multidisciplinary collaboration for vulnerable populations within the safety net. Supporting teams in Quality Management and the Kaizen Promotion Office, Dr. Huen has worked to translate strategy into daily operations, partner with clinical and non-clinical leaders for data-driven alignment and accountability, and develop effective leaders and teams. Dr. Huen has most recently focused on teaching, coaching and integrating A3 Thinking, the Daily Management System and Principle-Based Leadership as a shared approach to achieving ZSFG’s True North goals for San Francisco’s patients and community.
Dr. Huen is originally from Oakland, California and studied public policy at Princeton University. He completed medical school in the UCB-UCSF Joint Medical Program, where he received an MPH in Health Policy and Management and MS in Health and Medical Sciences. Dr. Huen completed his residency in Internal Medicine at the San Francisco General Hospital Primary Care Program at UCSF.
• University of California, San Francisco, MD, 2005
• University of California, Berkeley, MS, Health and Medical Sciences, 2003
• University of California, Berkeley, MPH, Health Policy & Management, 2003
• Princeton University, AB, Woodrow Wilson School of Public & International Affairs, 1999
• California HealthCare Foundation Leadership Fellowship, 2011-13
• NAPH Fellowship, 2011-12
• University of California, San Francisco, Internship, Medicine, SFGH Primary Care
• University of California, San Francisco, Residency, Medicine, SFGH Primary Care
• Medical License, California, 2007
• American Board of Internal Medicine, 2008