Rajiv Sawhney, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Radiology in the Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging at the University of California, San Francisco, and he is Chief of Interventional Radiology at the San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center. Dr. Sawhney received his medical degree from the University of Connecticut School of Medicine in 1989. He completed his residency in Radiology at Hartford Hospital in Hartford, Connecticut, followed by a fellowship in Vascular Interventional Radiology from the University of California, San Diego Medical Center in 1995.
One of Dr. Sawhney’s major projects involves a clinical program of percutaneous carotid stenting. Dr. Sawhney and his associates perform procedures under a protocol and analyze results regarding efficacy and safety, and compare results with those published for open surgical repair of the carotid artery. Dr. Sawhney and his colleagues have been treating renal artery stenosis by using balloon and stent for over 10 years with the goal of improving renal vascular hypertension and renal insufficiency.
Dr. Sawhney and his associates perform many vascular embolizations and percutaneous ablations of masses, and with his clinical team, they have presented one abstract and written a manuscript describing their results, which has been published. Dr. Sawhney has written 31 articles and 12 abstracts pertaining to his research.
Peripheral endovascular interventions, vascular access, interventional oncology
Angiography, angioplasty, stents, stent-grafts, liver, neoplasms
Education and Training:
• Medical School: University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington
• Internship: Harbor University of California, Los Angeles Medical Center
• Residency: Hartford Hospital, Hartford - Radiology
• Fellowship: University of California, San Diego Medical Center - Vascular Radiology
• Medical License, California
• American Board of Radiology
• Certificate of Added Qualification in Vascular and Interventional Radiology, American Board of Radiology
• California X-Ray Supervisor and Operator Certificate