Randall T. Higashida, MD, is a Professor of Clinical Radiology, Neurological Surgery, Neurology, and Anesthesiology at the University of California, San Francisco. He is Chief of the Division of Interventional Neurovascular Radiology at UCSF Medical Center, one of the leading institutions specializing in the minimally invasive treatment of complex cerebrovascular diseases and stroke. Dr. Higashida obtained his medical degree from the School of Medicine at Tulane University in New Orleans 1980, and completed his residency and fellowship training at UCLA Medical Center in 1984.
Currently, Dr. Higashida’s basic science research is being conducted to study newer, more innovative techniques to treat a variety of neurovascular disorders including aneurysms, vascular malformations, tumors, and vasospasm in animal models and in active clinical practice within the interventional neurovascular radiology section at UCSF. Dr. Higashida and his colleagues have pioneered many of the techniques, devices, and indications for treatment of a variety of complex neurovascular disorders.
Dr. Higashida has published over 305 scientific articles on stroke and related topics, and he authored over 122 book chapters. His articles have appeared in the New England Journal of Medicine, Stroke, American Journal of Neuroradiology, Journal of Neurosurgery, Journal of Endovascular Surgery, Lancet, Neurology, and the Journal of the American Medical Association. He is on 10 scientific editorial boards and serves as a manuscript reviewer for 9 additional journals.
Neuro Interventional Radiology
Minimally invasive treatment of complex cerebrovascular diseases and stroke
Intracranial aneurysms, angioplasty of vasospasm, management of acute hemorrhage, and intravascular closure of carotid cavernous sinus fistulas
Education and Training:
• Medical School: Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans
• Internship: Harbor University of California, Los Angeles Medical Center, Torrance
• Residency: University of California, Los Angeles Medical Center - Diagnostic Radiology
• Residency: Armed Force Institute of Pathology (AFIP), Washington, DC
• Fellowship: University of California, Los Angeles Medical Center - Neuroradiology/Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology
• California Medical License
• American Board of Radiology (Certified)
• Basic Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Advanced Life Support in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
• Federal Licensure Examination for Medical Boards