Kanade Shinkai, MD, PhD
|School||UCSF School of Medicine|
|University of California, San Francisco||M.D.|| Medicine||2004|
|University of California, San Francisco||Ph.D.|| Graduate Division (TETRAD Program)||2004|
I am a dermatologist who specializes in medical dermatology, seeing patients in both the inpatient and outpatient settings. I am passionate about providing each and every one of my patients with the most evidence-based medical treatments for their cutaneous disease, and to educate my patients to promote their best health of their skin. As an academic physician, I strive to advance the collective knowledge of medical information in the field of dermatology through research and collaboration to better understand trends in cutaneous disease, dermatologic manifestations of systemic disease, and the quality of life of patients who live with skin conditions. I am also passionate about teaching others about dermatology, including practicing dermatologists, the next generation of dermatologists, and other medical specialists who encounter skin disease in their clinical practice. I have been part of the UCSF community since 1995.
I believe that medical education is a mandate and privilege of being an academic physician. Highlights of my work in medical education at UCSF and beyond include:
• Associate Residency Program Director, UCSF Department of Dermatology (2011 - present)
• Director, Clinical Performance Exam, UCSF School of Medicine (2014 - present)
• Competency Director, Patient Care, UCSF School of Medicine (2014 - present)
• Mentor, Academic Dermatology Leadership Program, American Academy of Dermatology (2014 - present)
• Director, Medical Student electives in dermatology, UCSF School of Medicine (2009 - 2014)
• Director, Clinical Skills Guidance/ Remediation Program, UCSF School of Medicine (2012 - 2014)
• Invited speaker, workshop facilitator in communications coaching. I am a certified mediator (conflict resolution expert) who serves as a volunteer mediator for the UCSF community and one of my educational interests is in communications coaching, to help health professionals communicate more effectively and richly with their colleagues and patients alike. I have facilitated, co-facilitated, and developed curricula in communication and conflict resolution, including a workshop entitled "Taking the difficult out of difficult conversations."
My current clinical roles as an attending physician at UCSF include:
• UCSF Department of Dermatology, Acne Specialty Clinic
• UCSF Multidisciplinary Clinic for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
• UCSF Department of Dermatology, Faculty practice
• UCSF inpatient consultative dermatology service
• UCSF Department of Dermatology, Complex Medical Dermatology Resident Continuity Clinic (teaching preceptor)
Derived automatically from this person's publications.
People in Profiles who have published with this person.
People who share related concepts with this person.