Patrick Ha, MD is a Professor and the Chief of Head and Neck Oncologic Surgery in the Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery (OHNS) at the University of California, San Francisco. He is also holds the Irwin Mark Jacobs and Joan Klein Jacobs Distinguished Professorship in Head and Neck Surgery. After graduating magna cum laude from Harvard University, he received his medical degree from The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland. Dr. Ha completed his one-year internship at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, and he also completed an otolaryngology residency from the same institution, followed by advanced training in head and neck surgery at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. In addition to his clinical and research work, he serves as the Medical Director for the UCSF Mission Bay Adult Services.
Dr. Ha’s clinical expertise covers the full breadth of head and neck surgery, including a focus on thyroid and parathyroid surgery, as well as endoscopic laser and transoral robotic approaches for throat cancers. His current area of research is focused on the molecular changes occurring in salivary gland adenoid cystic carcinoma, and he has held multiple NIH and foundation grants towards this aim. In addition, he serves on the editorial board of several journals including Head and Neck and Oral Oncology. He has over 100 published journal articles. While at Johns Hopkins, he held the role of associate residency program director and won several teaching awards for his work with medical students and residents.
Head and Neck Oncologic Surgery
Head and neck endocrine surgery, robotic surgery, and ablative surgery
Head and neck cancer, salivary gland, thyroid, neoplasm, adenoid cystic carcinoma, surgery, molecular biology, promoter methylation
Education and Training:
• Medical School: Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
• Internship: Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland
• Residency: Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland
• Advance Training: Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland – Head and Neck Surgery
Awards and Honors:
• 1999 Johns Hopkins School of Medicine - Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
• 2005 Johns Hopkins Department of Otolaryngology - Recipient of the Henkel Chief Resident Teacher of the Year Award
• 2007 Johns Hopkins Department of Otolaryngology - Recipient of John C. Price Faculty Teaching Award
• 2011 Johns Hopkins Department of Otolaryngology - Recipient of John C. Price GBMC Faculty Teaching Award
• 2012-2014 Johns Hopkins Department of Otolaryngology - Baltimore Magazine, voted Top Doctor in Head and Neck Surgical Oncology